Take care of your figures!Removing dust.

• soja
    sojaRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline13 ответов
    8 месяцев назад
    Hi guys,

I desperately need to dust my figures and realized...this is more difficult than originally thought. *sigh*

I searched the threads regarding such a topic but couldn't find anything.
    Which is weird, as this must be an issue many collectors face.
    (if there is some info thread please provide the link)

So any cool / secret / easy tips on how to dust my very dusty *cough* figures without
    * damaging them
    * taking forever
    * being like an archeologist that has to carefully work on each detail
    * ...and then rage quitting
    ??

My spontanous ideas would be:
    * using a hair dryer on "cold" mode to blow the dust away
    * using my tooth brush / thin paint brush
    * leaving them dusty ^^"

help
  • Melon_pan4
    Melon_pan4Regular Boarder • lv8
    Offline4 ответа
    8 месяцев назад
    I use a swiffer duster for mine. It can be annoying when it gets stuck on the points of the hair, but it seems to do a good job. It doesn't take long but then again i only have like 9 figures. Occasionally when they're super dusty i use a blow gun on the lowest setting and with some distance so as to not damage it, which also works well. If you don't have an air compressor though the hair dryer might be a good alternative. Good luck!
  • Naf
    NafRegular Boarder • lv7
    Offline39 отв.
    8 месяцев назад
    I use paint brush to dust off bfore dust accumulates. (some ppl said makeup brushes or feather duster are better).
    My second alternative is wet paper towel if the dust is difficult to remove. Sometimes I used baby wipes (non alcohol) to clean (but im not sure if thats safe, no problem on my figures though). Last option is running water but kinda a pain to dry (at least for me).
    One dream One wish かなえたいなら Over the top~
    [One piece 22nd opening]
  • Azul123
    Azul123Regular Boarder • lv5
    Offline14 ответов
    8 месяцев назад
    Thanks for This topic! Had issues too with that
  • rafaelft
    rafaelftRegular Boarder • lv14
    Offline23 отв.
    8 месяцев назад
    For me, when I buy used figures that have dust I end up washing them. I know that it can be hard if you have a big number of figures, but it end up being easier than trying to remove the dust.

I use warm water with a little bit of detergent and a soft brush, then rinse with cold water and dry them up with a hairdryer
    Showing your back to the enemy....Overconfidence will destroy you!!! - Sephiroth (Crisis Core)
  • billowsandsmoke
    billowsandsmokeRegular Boarder • lv13
    Offline63 отв.
    8 месяцев назад
    For super stubborn dust/dirt I've gotten a bit of swiffer duster wet and used that, but normally I use a makeup brush. E.l.f. has $3-$5 ones you can get at CVS and Target (and other stores I assume, plus online). I personally use this one, since it's not too big but is still fluffy and soft so you can jam it into those hard to reach areas without causing any damage. I'm sure similar ones would work fine--you just want to make sure the brush is soft enough to not cause any scratches.
  • soja
    sojaRegular Boarder • lv10
    Offline13 ответов
    7 месяцев назад
    spinners_grove8 месяцев назад#71055417For super stubborn dust/dirt I've gotten a bit of swiffer duster wet and used that, but normally I use a makeup brush. E.l.f. has $3-$5 ones you can get at CVS and Target (and other stores I assume, plus online). I personally use this one, since it's not too big but is still fluffy and soft so you can jam it into those hard to reach areas without causing any damage. I'm sure similar ones would work fine--you just want to make sure the brush is soft enough to not cause any scratches.

rafaelft8 месяцев назад#71033125For me, when I buy used figures that have dust I end up washing them. I know that it can be hard if you have a big number of figures, but it end up being easier than trying to remove the dust.
    I use warm water with a little bit of detergent and a soft brush, then rinse with cold water and dry them up with a hairdryer

Naf8 месяцев назад#71028514I use paint brush to dust off bfore dust accumulates. (some ppl said makeup brushes or feather duster are better).
    My second alternative is wet paper towel if the dust is difficult to remove. Sometimes I used baby wipes (non alcohol) to clean (but im not sure if thats safe, no problem on my figures though). Last option is running water but kinda a pain to dry (at least for me).

Melon_pan48 месяцев назад#71028462I use a swiffer duster for mine. It can be annoying when it gets stuck on the points of the hair, but it seems to do a good job. It doesn't take long but then again i only have like 9 figures. Occasionally when they're super dusty i use a blow gun on the lowest setting and with some distance so as to not damage it, which also works well. If you don't have an air compressor though the hair dryer might be a good alternative. Good luck!

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Here my experiences:
    1) I tried the hair dryer on cold mode. >> This works nicely for "big" dust flakes. Fast and easy. Thin dust I realized is hard to remove, though.

2) I tried make-up brush >>> takes a lot of time, some stubborn dust might still cling to the figure
    3) And I tried a fluffy sheep wool duster >>> takes a lot of time, gets stuck on the spiky parts; only recommended for flat surfaces, not so great for figures

Next to try:
    * swiffer
    * water
    * whatever I come up with next

XD
  • Julia125
    Julia125Regular Boarder • lv9
    Offline1 ответ
    7 месяцев назад • Обновлено 7 месяцев назад
    I use a combination of things depending on the figure:

Microfiber towel- the material easily gets caught on little details and pointy edges (like fingers, ends of the hair, etc) so I usually only use it to clean the base of the figure. The smoother the base, the better

Duster- I legit have a tiny duster that’s dollhouse sized that I use to clean the hard-to-reach spaces and delicate areas. I use the duster because it’s super soft but I’m sure that a paintbrush or makeup brush would work as well, as other people have said

Ultra Duster (compressed air can)- I specifically use the “Ultra Duster Industrial Strength” air can, something I got at Walmart a long time ago for my figure cleaning. What’s nice about this method is that it shoots really strong blasts of air so it gets rid of the fine dust pretty well and it’s also really easy to clean hard-to-reach places with the long and skinny straw. I’m not sure if it’s 100% safe but I’ve never had any issues with it and it's the fastest and best working method I’ve tried. The only con I can think of is that sometimes it can be a bit too strong so you want to go easy with it when cleaning the more delicate figures and small parts. If there are any small lose parts then it will probably blow them away so make sure you’re careful with it.

*If you do use the can then make sure NOT to shake it before use, since that may dispense some liquid. I always give it a few short blasts to make sure it’s just shooting air and it works just fine
  • Flueckli
    FlueckliRegular Boarder • lv6
    Offline2 ответа
    5 месяцев назад • Обновлено 5 месяцев назад
    I use the type of brushes, which is usually used for baking. (The natural ones' that are used for putting the egg on top of cookies or for marinades and such...)

These brushes are great for catching dust really well and as they're usually not that big either, you can even get in-between/to smaller/more fragile parts of figures. No damaging so far either as the hairs of the brush are really soft (=natural threads). They are really cheap, too.

http://blog.meincupcake.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/backpinsel_staedter.jpg

After some time, you have to get new ones' if they're filled with (catched) dust, but like I mentioned above: They are really cheap, but you get a great value out of them.

EDIT: The ones' I use for figures have never been and will never be used for cooking/baking of course.
  • Вступите в клуб для участия в обсуждении
  • 9 ответов
Bringing the hobby to your door.

Take care of your figures!58